Monday, January 08, 2007



BET to broadcast the first two seasons


BET will be showing the first two seasons of "The Wire" starting this Thursday at 9 p.m. After a special "3 day premiere event" (whatever that means when you're showing repeats) BET will show weekly episodes.

It looks like all the momentum from the critically-adored Season Four has given this show some new legs. I think it's great that the show is receiving more recognition and will have the chance to be seen by a wider audience. As far as I know, "Sex in the City" is the only other HBO show to get broadcast outside of HBO (I bet it's only a matter of time till "Entourage" busts out as well).

I'm a little concerned about how much of the language and swearing will be edited out. It seems like a better time for the show on cable would be 10 p.m. I believe that shows shown after that time can show more "adult content" (a la "Nip/Tuck"). Language is such an important part of the show and it would be a shame to see that compromised. But I suppose that's the price you pay when you want to reach a wider audience. Nonetheless, I don't think it will impact it a whole lot - just as long as they don't do any awful overdubbing. God forbid!

Here's a shot from the third episode of Season One which should speak volumes to anybody who just watched the past season.

I'll post more info here on anything "Wire" related as it becomes available.

Feel free to email me at asywak@gmail.com.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://palmsout.blogspot.com/

Palms Out Music does a breakdown of Wire characters if they were figures in today's hip hop scene. Jay-Z as Stringer Bell, Dame Dash as Avon, Lupe Fiasco as Lester Freamon....very cool.

Also, AllHipHop.com is still running The Wire Week. They've done interviews with Wood Harris, Michael K. Williams and Snoop.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Andy..thanks for keeping us on the up and up with The Wire cast. I try to see and read about them every chance I can!

BET has really been hyping up "The Wire". I love seeing the publicity and the commercials because I know the clueless ones are about to witness the best underrated show in TV history. Actually, underrated may not even describe the show now since it is really starting to get recognition that is wayyy past due. I am however worried that the show's grittyness and integrity may be compromised by trying to capture a broader audience. I hope they don't water it down too much by editing and filtering content to the point it loses its appeal. That would be a poor way for "The Wire" to make a first impression on mainstream cable.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home