Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sorry it's taken me awhile to post about. I'm in finals right now and all I do is write all day anyways. Really appreciate all the comments and positive feedback.

I rewatched the series finale a few days ago and I've scribbled down some thoughts but rather than just let them dribble out half-formed I'd like to take some time to compose them.

There were many write-ups of "The Wire" after it was over in all the big papers. The only one that made an impression on me was the LA Times write up by Mary McNamara. She called it a "sad and lovely finale." Money quote:

"Snoop did what she did -- killed lots of people -- because that's what you do, you know,
when you're Snoop. It's not any more complicated than that. Or at least not according to 'The Wire.' The universe moves in slow, painfully familiar patterns that creep in that
ever-widening gyre toward degeneration. Only a few small instances of transformation
briefly postpone the decline."

Also, here's an interview with Dominic West from the LA Times from last month. If there's going to be anymore Wire it will be in the form of a prequel.

- I'll post more later this week. I'm flipping through a H.L. Mencken biography right now. I'd like to compose a short little piece comparing his life to Simon's. Both skeptical, hyper-productive men who were able to have amazing careers in journalism without leaving Baltimore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home